Thursday August 26, 2021
HARD-to-please Ryan Douglas came away as top scorer but also with a feeling of what might have been from Wolverhampton’s 45-45 draw at King’s Lynn.

The Parrys International Wolves frequently held a four-point lead over the SGB Premiership backmarkers but ended up getting pegged back and the scores were level going into a last-heat decider.

The impressive Douglas was sent out with Sam Masters whose jet-propelled start proved just enough to hold off Thomas Jorgensen while Douglas was left at the back.

Douglas, who racked up 13 on the night, also ran wide when leading heat 13 to let through Jorgensen and Richard Lawson for a Stars 5-1.

That was compounded by a nasty fall for Nick Morris in heat 10, the Australian falling in a tight first bend and suffering concussion.

Boss Peter Adams confirmed Morris would complete a mandatory nine-day absence, ruling him out of Monday’s double header with Belle Vue while Douglas fought a feeling of frustration.

“It is always a worry when a meeting can turn at any moment and when we lost Nick to injury it was a bit of a blow, he is pretty good around King’s Lynn," he said.

“Me and Leon (Flint) had to step up and we managed to get some extra points. A draw is not the end of the world but we would have liked to win.

“It was fairly grippy and that can take a bit out of you, I had taken some extra rides and in heat 13 I got out in front but tightened up and made a mistake. They are fast around here and they capitalised.

“In heat 15 Thomas jumped it from the start, massively. I assumed the red light would come on but it didn’t and that cost me but thankfully Sam got the win to make sure we came away with the draw.

“I was a bit upset after the last one. If someone had told me I would get 13 before the meeting I would have bitten off their hand but I still feel I had a little more in me so I am a bit down about it.”


Wolves found the Stars a far tougher proposition than in their massive 58-32 romp at the same venue back in May, and it needed a big heat 15 win from Sam Masters to ensure a share from a meeting which they had led for long spells.

The home side led the early stages, and it would have been by more than two points but for a fall by race leader Erik Riss on the third lap of heat three, the start of a disastrous night for the German who failed to score.

Wolves levelled when skipper Rory Schlein won heat four with Flint supplying third place, before Masters and Broc Nicol raced to a big 5-1 in the next to put the visitors ahead for the first time.

Luke Becker impressively got the better of Thomas Jorgensen in heat seven with Nick Morris also passing the Dane before Jorgensen responded off the last bend to limit Wolves to a 4-2.

The gap was narrowed to two points as Douglas split Richard Lawson and Ben Barker in heat 10, having come into the race after Morris withdrew following a first-bend fall.

Douglas then took a win in heat 12 whilst Flint inherited third place as Riss failed to finish - but a 5-1 to King’s Lynn in heat 13 brought the match to the boil again with Jorgensen and Lawson both going past Douglas whilst Masters retired from the race at the back.

With the scores level, Becker was squeezed out in Heat 14 but youngster Flint kept Wolves on terms with a superb ride to fend off home skipper Lewis Kerr.

Boss Peter Adams had decisions to make for heat 15 with none of his top five fully firing but Masters proved to be the right man for the job as he defeated Jorgensen and Lawson – although last place for the hard-working Douglas meant it was honours even overall.

KING’S LYNN 45: Thomas Jorgensen 12, Richard Lawson 10+2, Lewis Kerr 9, Ben Barker 7, Kasper Andersen 6+2, Connor Mountain 1+1, Erik Riss 0.

WOLVERHAMPTON 45: Ryan Douglas 13, Sam Masters 8, Leon Flint 8, Broc Nicol 5+2, Luke Becker 5, Rory Schlein 4+1, Nick Morris 2+1.

Share This:   Facebook Twitter